Tuesday, March 17, 2009

NEW YORK STATE MATH EXAMS...

This past week was the New York State Math Exams for my 7th and 8th graders and this week is the week they are over! I have such mixed feelings about these state exams. I think it is important to have a curriculum for teachers to follow so that students are learning the necessary skills in order to proceed in their future math courses. That being said though, I do not truly believe that students' successes of learning should be measured by one test. However, I think what bothers me more than a test measuring one's success, is how we service those children who do not perform up to the state's standards.

Personally, I am searching for the right method or form of AIS (Academic Intervention Services) instruction that is most beneficial to the students. I know that in my school we conduct AIS classes opposite each student's elective or gym class. Therefore, they are being pulled every other day from another class, which causes complete disconnect from that particular class, or they are not even getting to participate in an elective, which for many is their only non-core academic class. Also, as a teacher who does teach an AIS class, I find that it is a constant struggle to get students to come to class because they would rather be running around with their friends in gym, building in technology, baking in home and careers, drawing in art, or learning about how to be fit and eat healthy in health class.

If anyone has an AIS program that they believe supports academic improvement with respect to the nonacademic classes or electives I would be interested in reading your thoughts.

No comments: