Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Empathy


Is empathy a feeling we are born with or something that is nourished and nurtured as we mature? Is it something that can be improved upon through experiences and role modeling? Is it something we should try to incorporate in each child's education, through some sort of curriculum, starting at the beginning of their school years? Or is it a combination of all of the above?

The technical definition of empathy is "the ability to sense and understand someone else's feelings as if they were one's own." For as long as I can remember I have always tried to consider other people's feelings in situations, listen intently to someone when they are talking to me, open my heart to others, and live by the motto "treat those how you would want to be treated." Also, if I was acting selfishly as a child or being too judgmental of others, my parents were consistently around to correct my behavior and explain how my actions and/or words were unfair and unchristian like.


As a middle school teacher for the past seven years, I get discouraged with the lack of empathy among my students and this age group. I find that more frequently than not, when mediating and discussing issues with students they do not seem to understand how their negative behavior and actions have actually harmed another human being. They think the situation is being blown out of proportion and do not think it’s that big of a deal.


I do believe that we are all born with a certain level of empathy. However, I feel that the growth of one's empathy is determined by life experiences and the individuals that one is surrounded by. Since the traditional family structure has changed over the years, and many parents cannot be present in their children's lives to explain right from wrong as well as correct a child's behavior when they are being inappropriate, maybe us educators should look into implementing a curriculum that deals with feelings and being a quality human being.

Let's face it, more and more children today are being influenced by the media. They believe that what they see and hear on television is real. What they are lacking is the actual human contact and communication from someone who is real and exists in their daily life. Therefore, since children spend most of their daily lives in school maybe it is the educators’ responsibility to not only teach academics, but to teach children how to be empathetic, caring, and understanding individuals. Would a curriculum like this improve the place we live in today? Would there be less greed, less judgment on others, and more caring and nurturing human beings than there are toady if every child was taught from an early age the skills to be empathetic, kind, generous, and caring?

5 comments:

Christine DePalo said...

I think this is an interesting idea. I mean it makes a lot of sense since students are in school for so much time each day.

blahblahblog said...

Adrienne, I so "empathize" with your reaction to middleschoolers not owning the consequences of their actions. I think a lot of it is developmental. I try to remember that prior to blowing my top. At this age they are soooo self absorbed, so wrapped up in their own insecurities and self image that they have no room left for the feelings of others. Time will take care of that for most of them. All we can do is provide a good role model.
Great blog! Got me thinking.

Mixed Greens and Berries said...

7 YEARS!!! Anyway, I agree - obviously, since I teach the same kids - I can PICTURE exactly what you are talking about!! I also think that activities such as challenge day are powerful. . .but they cannot just be done in isolation. Students can't do this only once a year and be expected to automatically change and be aware of others and empathize with everyone around them.
Like Maureen said, we've got to model - be role models, and encourage and recognize the positive in our students.

Jess O said...

I had so much to say about this wether your born with empathy or is it learned i had to blog about it. I find it very interesting when I look at my own kids and there level of Empathy at their ages.

kcny14 said...

I totally hear what you are saying. I don't think a lot of adults as well as children develop empathy. I think this stems from the me-first society we live in. We should incorporate empathy into our curriculumn as well as manners, respect, and kindness!